Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

December 7, 2021

New Opossum Shelter

We have two Virginia opossums coming around although I am certain there are three.  We've got a small dog house down back behind the shed that I packed with straw as an available shelter for an opossum or any other creature to use.  I've seen them use it but so do the raccoons and skunks on occasion.  

Last week while we were on vacation, I was out back one night and got the idea to set up another potential 'possum place.  I've had a wooden box out there for a while now and decided it might be good to try and set it up for the creatures, if they need a place to hide.  It was a rather quick set up, placing the box down back, out of sight, filling a good portion of it with leaves, concealing the box with various odds and sods of wood, branches, more leaves and so on.

I've been setting up the trail cam near this new house most nights and it took no time for the opossums (and others) to find it.  Seeing these images below drive me crazy (in a good way) and give me hope that one will stick around our yard more often.  Anyone who knows me (and Angie) as well as our wildlife friendly backyard, knows this would be a great safe place for one.

Here is one on the third night at 1:21 am.


He, or another is back an hour later.


Now at almost 7:30am.  He didn't spend the day in the box but I am thinking he lives very close by to still be around as daylight is almost upon us.  

Here is the next night.

An early riser, just before 7pm.


Almost 3 hours later.


Away he goes.


Two and a half hours later.


A half hour later he's going back to the box.

Now here is another regular, he's got no tail.  I've been catching this one on the cam for well over a month now.

Here's the next night.  Just a couple shots.  I think you've seen enough for now, right?

Peek-a-boo at 2:25am.


Peek-a-boo again about 3 hours later.

There's at least 3 skunks coming around the backyards the last while and I am pretty sure there's at least 5 raccoons but there could be more.  I wonder if it is because our backyard is such a busy spot that they won't use the box?  Maybe I need to conceal it more?  There's lots of old sheds and garages surrounding, many places for the animals to burrow under.

Oh well, at least I am offering them more shelter if need be.

A lot of people have weird thoughts and misunderstandings towards the opossum.  Such ugly animals, giant rats, probably have rabies, etc.  If only they would take the time out to research them and learn.  

Like seriously, look how cute these guys are!  Both of them were in our backyard.


And baby opossums...  OMFG!  I've yet to see one in the wild.  I would just die.  I *borrowed* this image from Google.

Both Angie and I hope to see a mother opossum with young in our backyard one of these days.  Providing them with shelter could help make this happen.

Here's some bits about the pros of having opossums around our backyards.

Stay tuned for future updates as I have them.


5 comments:

Nicole Corrado said...

Opossums are awesome!🐭

jasmyn said...

In New World, Many players also buy New World Coins in advance.

Attached link: https://www.iggm.com/new-world-coins

Tammie said...

They are the cutest things! Of course, I have people telling that the flying squirrels on my webcam are creepy too. Sure hope you get your wish to see a momma with babies someday. :)

Anonymous said...

I love the possums. A few years ago I had a possum walk through my yard with a bunch of babies on her back. I was so excited. I spoke to a biologist who said the possums need all the help they can get in the winter months .... shelter is necessary but so is food. Because of their sparse hairy fur it's easy for them to suffer frostbite. Good luck Rob, I hope your little sanctuary does well.

Karin said...

I have 2 juvenile opossum visit my yard. I prepared shelter but they only use it for eating and then disappear.
I need some suggestions what food to leave out during the winter months. I live in Toronto.