Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

January 23, 2020

Squirrel Appreciation Day

January 21s... Squirrel Appreciation Day. I'm a bit late with this post because I've been really sick for the last week. So sick that I have not been to work since last Wednesday.

As you might realize, we appreciate our squirrel buds here. Always have. Always will. Even when they bite into my garden tomatoes or dig up my freshly planted marigolds. They add to the whole backyard and I can't imagine not having them around.

Ripper has been a blessing the last near 2 years now.


More so during my illness, as he came around for 5 days straight. Ripper's trend of the last number of months is once every 5 to 10 days to grace us with his presence. What's up with that? He must have a fairly reliable food source closer to wherever he lives.

I love having these close interactions with some of our yard critters. Without a Pigeon visit since January 2nd, seeing Ripper more has been great. With me being so unwell, the time outs with him on the back deck make me forget what I am dealing with for the moment.


I think back to when I was a young boy and staying at my grandmother's often throughout the year, she always looked after the squirrels in her backyard. Peanut butter sandwiches daily for them. Some came right to her back door for the hand out every day. I'm sure this influenced me early on.

I know a lot of people don't appreciate them, seeing them as pests. The outdoors belongs to the animals. You may as well learn to live with them all and life will be a lot easier. Hell, get to know one or two like we have.

Here's to the squirrels!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Hope you are starting to feel better Rob. Not so many squirrels around our place this year. The birds are coming out of the bush and eating us out of house and home though. Once the snow came they came with a vengence. Some great sightings of Snowy Owls our way. Haven't had one here for ages though there are others around making their presence known.