Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

November 28, 2019

Regret to Inform...

I am saddened to post this, but my Pigeon friend Fitz has been euthanized.


Whatever happened to him, left him blind in his left eye. A one eyed Pigeon's life would be a struggle and rather short. If not picked off by a predator, it would most likely injure itself as it tried to get around, as well as slowly starve. The latter I know as I watched Fitz miss most of the seeds he was trying to pick from the palm of my hand that day I caught him.

I know Toronto Wildlife did all they could for him. He was in the centre for over 3 weeks. The medications and rest helped the exterior of his eye heal but they could not do anything for the loss of sight. I had high hopes for a recovery but as time passed, I also acknowledged and accepted that might not happen.

I take comfort in knowing he was in a warm, safe place the last few weeks. His belly was full. Lastly, he had apparently made himself a friend with another Pigeon, so his time was not truly awful nor alone.

I will miss him. We had almost 2 years of friendship. He had a lot of Pierre-like traits which had me favour him. He would sit on the clothes line post outside the backdoor and wait for me many mornings. It was comical to see him lean over from this post as he would peer into the kitchen window, looking for me. He would follow me about the backyard like a trusted sidekick. He was a nice bird, he was smart and a survivor.

Fitz knew our house was a good place to get a feed on and fresh water whenever desired. It was a safe place through a good part of the year, minus the winter. His visits in the winter were usually quite short and days apart if the Hawks had been hunting.


Pigeons aren't high on a lot of peoples' lists but slowly my visitors and I are changing the mindsets of some, one by one.

Last night's Whisky Wednesday was to Fitz.


Thanks for your friendship.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So sorry for your loss Rob but I know that you made Fitz feel welcome and comfortable and he knew he had a true friend in you. You are a becon to these birds and other animals they know your backyard is a safe haven where they can eat and enjoy the company. R.I.P Fitz :/

nadal said...

Shutterstock is considered by many photographers to be among the top three stock imagery sites today. Shutterstock offers free registration, and commission rates start at 25%. Since Shutterstock is one of the main hubs for stock photography however, photographers face a decent amount of competition. To get accepted into Shutterstock, you must submit 10 photographs, 7 of which must be approved.
If you enjoy taking photos and you'd like to earn a little extra money by submitting them, You can signup for a Shutterstock contributor account here: http://submit.shutterstock.com?rid=253193851

Mr. king said...

Massage can help both before exercise and after to get the blood flowing. Prior to exercising, make with your fists a pommeling movement to get blood flowing to your arms and legs. When you have completed your exercise, try rubbing the muscles with your palm and move in the general direction of your heart.
satta king
play bazaar