Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

May 30, 2009

Latest on the Chickadees

So it's been a number of weeks now since I became certain that a pair of Black Capped Chickadees moved into my ornamental bird house which looks like an outhouse. Of all places! It seems they prefer this kind of nesting box. I am always learning something about the birds around me since I take extra interest in them over one I don't normally see.

The male has been quite busy lately, forever bringing food to the nest. I am guessing it is the male, still not sure how to identify between the two. I assume it is him since this one is out and about quite a bit more than the other. The female goes out for suet meals and then right back to the nest. I have a number of feeders about the property but right now the male is bringing live bugs back and not seed. Good boy! Take care of the bug situation around here...

Here are some of the best pics I have gotten at the birdhouse lately. I will be getting these developed for my "bird album" and certainly are great memories for Spring of 2009.

This first one is my favorite. I like his stance on the side of the house.


I almost would think he is asking me what I am doing looking at him.


He realizes I am no threat and continues on his business of bringing home dinner.


Today I notice a lot more noise from the Chickadees. They are very vocal and loud. I see no threats around as I have been outside most of the morning (just stopped in for some lunch and H2O). Usually, these two anyways, are very low key, soft peeps and few of their most common noises like "chick-a-dee-dee-dee" which is so different than the ones I see in the park/forests.

Have the eggs hatched? Are they almost ready to hatch? We shall see...

stay tuned

1 comment:

Jo-Anne said...

Very nice.

Lately, lots of babies: birds (eg. ducklings, goslings, etc.), deer, groundhogs, squirrels, etc.