Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

May 11, 2024

Merlin Release

Last week I was offered the opportunity to release a merlin not far from where I work.  I jumped at the chance.  I've released well over 70 species of birds and a merlin is not on that list.  I should add that I am not competing with myself, or anyone else, but it's cool if I can add to these lists that I keep.

I brought my camera but had the idea to set my phone up on the other end of the roof of my car and take some video too.  I'm glad that I did as the release was over in seconds and the bird flew fast, high and far across a fenced off field.  From the video I managed to take some screen shots that I am sharing here, along with a YouTube link to the video.

It is one of my most memorable releases, perhaps because it is the only merlin I've released.  Here are a few screen shots...

Cropped...

One more...

Here is the YouTube link.  You can see how bad that bird wanted out of there.

How's this for maybe my shortest blog ever?

2 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

What a marvellous thing to be able to do!
We've released raccoons and skunks, here. So rewarding.

Anonymous said...

Merlins belong in the nature. They feel happy when released and I can see that happiness in this picture. Thank you for the post.