Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

September 26, 2021

Yard Bird #82

We had our 82nd yard bird species appear on Friday afternoon.  The bird was a blackpoll warbler.  I happened to be sitting in my chair at the kitchen window as I often do, just watching out back, when I suddenly noticed a warbler like bird in the pine outside the window.  I grabbed the camera and the bins, and outside I went.

Now it is fall and many of the warbler species can be tough for many of us to ID.  This is partially why I started photographing birds very early on; to help Angie and I figure out some of the birds we were seeing in our travels.

This bird stumped me a little bit.  I asked a friend of mine his thoughts.  He threw bay-breasted or blackpoll.  He asked me if I saw the bird's feet.  If they were orange, it was a blackpoll.  Thankfully I got a lot of pictures of the bird, many crappy (which is why I kept shooting) and there was some foot and backside shots where I could see it's feet.  Definitely orange.

So that's pretty cool to have another new yard bird, eh.  Only 18 more until we hit the big 100.  I wonder if we will ever see that or not?  I don't count the birds that I see fly over our yard on the yard list.  Some do.  Not me.  That's a separate list called "from the yard".

Do you track your yard birds?



2 comments:

Tammie said...

Awesome yard sighting! I don't keep a list like that.

Jenn Jilks said...

Well done!
I have a blog post where I listed my sightings. Somewhere!