Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

November 26, 2020

Long Time No Owl

 Approximately eight years ago I saw an owl at this tree cavity.  

Someone had reported it to a birding forum and it caused a bit of a shit storm with photographers.  I remember seeing an army of camouflaged men for the most part combing the woods, looking for this tree cavity.  It was early on in my days of birding and using a camera.  It was shocking to see as many were not staying on the paths.  It reminded me of a movie, where there is a search for a child or perhaps a man hunt to see a large group of people walking in a line across the woods like this.  I kind of took offense to what they were doing as this was one of my favourite spots to look for birds since it was so close to home.  A couple days later they were all gone.  I don't think many found the cavity or the owl, at least not when I passed through (I would not make it obvious if I peeked at this particular tree, and would keep walking).  It was nice to have a quiet woodlot once again.

Over the years I eased off on visiting these woods just because of the rampant off leash dogs and steady flow of joggers and cyclists.  Avoiding dog shit all through the trails was another annoyance.  I would still venture into these woods a few times yearly, mostly in the winter, because there was always a good bird or two to spot, and less people.

This week I took a walk in, first time since I think the winter of 2018/19.  Long overdue!  It was kind of drizzly so I knew it wouldn't be as busy.  I passed that tree which I never forgot about and to my joy and surprise there was an owl roosting the morning away at another cavity.  I was happily shocked at my "find".

I smirked about the people who all walked right under this sleeping beauty and did not see it.

There was no point to hang around at the owl now.  I had a great look at it.  I took a few photos.  Now it was time to continue my walk to hopefully find something else I had in my mind to see.  I really wanted to see a Barred Owl; this is my wish bird for this season.  I did not find one on this walk.  Maybe next time?  Perhaps I should think about finding a Screech Owl and maybe it will turn into something else, like a Barred Owl?

I passed this bird on my way back to the parking area.  I went for an artsy shot.


Then one last look before I was gone.  He's turning into the bark now.


Owls are something to see in the wild.  It's unfortunate that sharing the location to the general public always turns into something negative and disturbing for the owl as well as the habitat.  A few of my friends and I always wonder what it is about owls and people here?  When we were in Las Vegas, and out with a bird guide there, we talked about this.  There's nothing like the owl craze here in other regions.

Wish me luck in my continued search for a Barred Owl.  I do know where one is, that seemingly everyone else knows too, but I will hold out hope to find one in not such a popular spot much like this forgotten about tree.


2 comments:

Tammie said...

Tickled pink to have a little Saw-Whet owl hunt my backyard one night last week. If I hadn't picked that moment to check the webcam, I never would have known.

Arlene W. said...

😎 cool, I'd never see it unless I knew. That was a great surprise for you hey.