Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

July 3, 2019

The Raccoon and the Apple

We've got 2 Raccoon families wandering the neighbourhood this summer. One mom has 3 kids while the other has 4. The 4 kid family have younger Raccoons than the other, I can tell by their size. Like most nights after work, I toss my apple core out back for whoever to find and finish up. In the past it's been an Opossum. Lately, it can be anything like an Opossum, a Skunk, a Raccoon and sometimes it's there in the morning and a Squirrel finds it. Last night this young Raccoon found it. I sat on a cinder block near the shed and watched him, taking a few photos.

"Hello. What are you?" Even though I'm a hairy guy and probably have dark circles around my eyes, he knows I'm not one of his kind.


"Oh, what is this?"


"It smells okay."


"Mine. Mine. Mine."


"A is Apple. B is for Belongs and it belongs to meeeeeeeeeeeee!"


Then after a couple bites, he left it on the ground. I don't think it was something he really liked all that much.


He looked at me for a moment.


Then off he went back over the fence to where the others were dumpster diving in the neighbour's bin which he forgot to secure.

4 comments:

Tammie said...

OMG, that's so freakin' cute! Great post & commentary! :D

Debbie G. said...

Great storytelling!

Encaustics, Acrylics and other media said...

So cute!

Rob said...

Baby Raccoons, what's not to love?