Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

June 21, 2019

Falcon Rescue

I've been ridiculously busy. Early last week I swept through all of the nest boxes and had intended on doing a couple blogs about that. But then last Wednesday I happened to be right by the old Etobicoke General Hospital in Rexdale (now William Osler) and noticed one of the young Peregrine Falcons had fledged. So the next 3 mornings I spent some time watching that Falcon family, helping my friends at The Canadian Peregrine Foundation, to monitor the young.

This Monday I had a milestone moment with the Toronto Wildlife Centre that I will share another time.

Then from Tuesday onward, it's been helping with the fledge watch near us at what we all call ESL since the site is formerly known as the Etobicoke Sunlife Centre. Approximately 4 hours each morning so far. Tuesday and Wednesday there was a lot of screaming, jumping and wing flapping from the kids but nothing else. Then on Thursday the first one fledged at 8 am. Less than 30 minutes we had a second fledge. I had a busy stressful but also fun time watching these birds. Of course it was pouring rain for much of the time I was there.

One of the young birds who ended up being quite low to the ground and near where I parked my car. His name is Griffon.


I saw something incredible happen with Griffon. His first flight was decent but not as good as the first to go who is named Aries. Griffon had some struggles, played a bit of "Peregrine Ping Pong" off 3 of the buildings. He was exhausting himself, losing altitude and suddenly out came both of his parents, Lucky and Darcy. The adult birds were screaming and flying under Griffon, giving him a boost it would seem, and probably some guidance too as to where to go next. In 7 years of watching the Falcons, I had never seen something like this. I heard about it. This is probably one of the most amazing things I have seen in my life.

The watch got really crazy later that afternoon and it rained a lot more throughout. I got soaked during my time. The afternoon watchers got saturated.

I was updated on the status of the birds before I left work last night. I knew exactly where one was and decided to pass by on my way home, this being a couple hours after the watchers closed for the evening. The bird was still in the same low spot, getting rained on and just sitting there, dealing with it, preening throughout. Glad he stayed put. I knew I would see him in the morning.

I went home, and was in bed shortly after midnight.

Five hours later, I am out of bed. I slept horribly as my mind kept with these young Falcons. I knew they would need my help today.

I arrive on site about 5:45 am. I could see the last young Falcon still on the nest ledge. A large female, her name is Bliss. The females always go later than the males. I don't see or hear anyone else. I start a walk around the block of the towers as one was left behind the buildings on someone's balcony railing. No birds for quite a while.

I took notice to a new set of stairs that led to an upper concourse where they've put in a garden. This area wraps around the most western office tower. As I make my way around to the southern side, I spot one of the young Falcons sitting on the steps. He was halfway down the stairs from me. I thought about rushing down and just grabbing him but then feared he would dart down the stairs and out to the sidewalk, perhaps even the street. It's early but there's still traffic. I rethink things and back step to where I initially got to this area, get down to street level, walk around the building and to these steps. I figure if he tries to get away from me, at least he's going up the stairs and not out to the street. What I found funny was a woman sitting right in front of him, only separated by mere feet and a glass barrier. She was too into her phone business and enjoying her cigarette to notice this adorable young Peregrine Falcon behind her. Even as I walked up past her, she never looked. Even as I did a quick grab of the bird with a large light blue towel in my hands, the woman never flinched one bit. Even as I now walked past her with this Falcon wrapped in a towel in my hands, still nothing. Sad how shut out people are to what is going on around them.

Anyway, this bird I caught is the same one I saw late last night. His name is Avro. He's okay, just got into a silly spot and that glass barrier confused him. He was pretty pissed at me, which is always a good thing.

I tell ya, it was a loooooooong walk back to the Mazda with him. Then to get out my car keys, to open the door, and then more fun as I knew it would be better to contain him in the carrier inside the car and not on the sidewalk. He fought me every step of the way. But now he's safe and will be released later this evening.

I looooooooooooooove young Peregrine Falcons. Adorable or what, eh?


That is my first real rescue out of all the years of watching the Falcons. So much better than doing recoveries.

The morning got even more interesting with a 2nd rescue but that will be saved for another blog. Work becons very soon. It's going to be a very long day but overall a very good day.

Wish Avro all the best with new start tomorrow high above the city streets.

It's probably going to be a crazy watch weekend at this site. Anyone got nothing to do, come on down. Usually a watcher or two along Eagle Road, south of Bloor, just a couple streets east of Islington. I might be there at some point as well.

2 comments:

EvaB said...

Awesome story!! So great to hear of your falcon rescue!! WAY TO GO!

Rajan Arora said...
This comment has been removed by the author.