Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

March 6, 2019

Happy (belated) Anniversary Charlie!

On February 27, 2018 I met this thin Pigeon. She (assuming it's a female but I honestly do not know) came to me at a good time, much like Fitz, showing up not too long after my old flock flew away for the very last time. I was missing my friends and happy to make some new ones.


I suppose it was a good time for her to come in and find me too. She was very thin. I could feel her bones through her feathers as she sat on my finger tips. No weight to this bird unlike Fitz, or my old boy Pierre. What I also noticed is how easily she got knocked around by the other birds in her flock. Survival of the fittest, right?

I named her Charlie, as in Charlie Brown, only because of the song and not the actual character. That one line stood out. "Why is everybody always picking on me?"


Over time Charlie grew. She's still a light weight compared to some of the others but not a thin bird on the verge of starvation like it seems when I meet some of these new skinny birds. What has also changed with her is her attitude. She stands her ground now. She pushes her way around the flock. She has also has that one edge over most of them; she knows she can come to me and get a good uninterrupted feed.


Acknowledging her day is delayed not because of me. I had last seen her on February 16. The 27th came and went without a visit from Charlie. There was no point in celebrating her one year coming around here if she did not come back.

Finally she did on March 6th. A small flock of birds came in and I could pick her out from them. Charlie is your standard blue gray Pigeon with a couple dark wing bars. What makes her stand out is the appearance that she is dirty about the shoulders. There's some discoloring to those feathers as you can see here.


I quickly grabbed my jacket, boots and some seed, then dashed out to see her. She was flying towards me as soon as she saw me. A feed for her. A couple photos for me.

"Nice to see you again little one!" and "Happy (belated) anniversary!"

2 comments:

Annsterw said...

She looks a lot healthier now! So lovely that you have a bird friend! Annster's Domain

Gaga said...

She is beautiful.