Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

November 20, 2018

Raptor Season is Here

Winter came early it seems and as expected here are the raptors.

I've been watching a Cooper's Hawk hit up our backyard for a meal a few times. I've not bothered with photos although I wish I did on Sunday. The Hawk was on top of our brush pile, seemingly jumping up and down on it. It knows the Sparrows are hiding within. It then hopped over to the nearby bird bath, stood on that, and assessed the situation. I then watched it hop to the ground and pace back and forth in front of the brush pile. Along came a Squirrel who was rather aggressive to the Hawk's presence. The Cooper's flared out his feathers, spread his wings and jumped at the Squirrel. This sent the Squirrel running away. Now it was back to work for the Hawk. I watched him pace the front of the pile again. Then he went around the side, squeezing in between the pile and the raspberry bush. I lost sight of him for a minute or so. Then he walked out with a House Sparrow in his mouth. How clever!

This is not the first time I have seen a Cooper's Hawk on top of the brush pile. I do wonder if it is the same bird?

Cooper's Hawk from a couple weeks ago who I watched land on the brush pile.


The pile has been weighed down by the recent wet snow and probably because of this Hawk's actions too. I may add some branches to the pile soon.

I was comfortable sitting at the window with my coffee in hand and the cats with me.


I felt little desire to go outside and try to get a photograph. I also did not want to bother the bird while he was hunting.

A Sharp-shinned Hawk has since made an appearance with quick attacks but I've not seen if they've been successful.

If you didn't catch my last blog, I shared a tale within about one of the Red-tailed Hawks coming in.

I went out yesterday and enjoyed a couple Owl sightings.

First up was a Long-eared Owl. This is my 3rd of this species this Autumn season.


Then a short bit later, I was fortunate to see a Northern Saw-whet Owl.


Just over a week ago I had a similar encounter at another park, finding both these species of Owl in close proximity of each other.

Long-eared Owl.


Peek-a-boo with a Saw-whet.


Last night on my way home from work, I spotted a large dark bird atop a lamp post. It's one of the places I look for Snowy Owls at this time of year. No Snowy Owl but a Great Horned Owl. Last winter I saw a Great Horned Owl atop this same lamp post one night. I wonder if it is the same Owl? No camera with me, so I just kept driving along with my jaw hanging down just a tad. I'm used to spotting Snowys at night but haven't gotten used to the Great Horned sightings which have been few and far between.

The Great Horned Owl from last winter.


To finish this off, one of our locals has returned for another season. A nearby resident to us is this Eastern Screech Owl.


Here I thought I was done with the blog, publishing it even, when I look out the back window and see some movement just over the fence in next door's backyard. I can see it is a Hawk and it has something. I go out the front door, sneak up the side of the house and watch from our yard, looking over the fence. It's a (THE?) Cooper's Hawk with a small bird. Nice he's got his breakfast but my curiosity is killing me on what he happened to catch. Well, part of me really wants to know while another part doesn't because we do have some special backyard birds. I finally see it is a male House Sparrow.


Indeed raptor season is here!

2 comments:

Tammie said...

The things you see in and from your yard. Boggles my mind!

Debbie G. said...

Ditto what Tammie said!