Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

February 8, 2018

Dein Kampf ist vorbei

Many of you have been waiting for an update on the injured Skunk I recently caught in our backyard.


Well here it is...

Unfortunately he had to be put down. The x-rays showed his injuries were quite extensive. For starts, the left shoulder was broken. This is why he was unable to use his front left leg. His nails on that foot were quite overgrown because he could not use that foot for walking or digging, which would wear them down. He also had several rib fractures. I suspect he survived a car strike. The poor thing was in pain and suffering, and he was not going to get any better. The humane thing to do was to end his suffering.

I was saddened when I got the news. I am saddened 24 hrs later as I key this. I always have the best hopes for any animal I bring into the wildlife centre. But I also understand that this was the best thing for the Skunk. I find peace in knowing he is not suffering any longer. I will not see him struggling about the backyards as he searched for food, trying to dig with his one good front paw and some how stay balanced with his other one.

It amazes me the strength in wild animals who have sustained serious injuries yet keep moving on, struggling to survive. Their will is strong. A lot stronger than most humans. I remember the pain of my 2 broken ribs from last Summer; the first 2 weeks were excruciating.

Some may argue I should have left him be. I don't know how many could watch any living creature struggle as this one did. It reminded me much of the Raccoon from a few years back that was pulling itself about our backyard with his front paws as he could not use his back legs at all. How it got around and where it slept the days away is beyond me (it couldn't climb).

Rest now little one. Dein Kampf ist vorbei which translates to Your Struggle is Over. I didn't want to give away the update to most reading this with the blog title so I decided to go for German which is half of my background.

If you are happened to miss the initial blog about this guy from last week, here is the link.

3 comments:

Tammie said...

Aw, so sorry to hear his injuries were so extensive! Sad to hear he couldn't make it but relieved that he's not in such agony any longer. :( You done good.

Lesley Barrenger said...

Thank you for your compassion for all creatures, Rob, and for going that extra mile to support them.

JeLLo said...

Poor little guy. It amazes me too the strength animals have. Thank you for helping him Rob!!