Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

December 24, 2013

Snowy Owls #5 and #6

The Snowy Owl invasion continues and I follow reports along with my own gut feelings about these birds whereabouts and came across 2 more Owls recently.  Oh, and #4 surfaced yet again!

Snowy Owl #5 was way the heck out on a pier in a lakefront park in Mississauga.  I was scanning the area and something caught my eye far off in the distance.  I guess it was the shape if nothing else.  And in my bins I was second and third guessing what I was seeing.  I took a couple photos with the 500mm lens and still wasn't sure.  I decided to crank the ISO and exposure, basically blowing the s**t out of a shot or two and indeed I was seeing one.

I played a game of "Spot the Snowy" with friends on Facebook with this shot.  It's still a closer shot, being not zoomed with the camera, than what I was seeing with my own eyes at first.  Can you find a Snowy Owl in this photograph?

Well, what do you think?  Any ideas where he is?

Would you believe where I've half circled below is a Snowy Owl?


Surely you see him now in this photo below.

One more super cropped to heck shot.

I can't even guess how far out he was from where I stood.  1,000 ft?  Who knows for sure but he's one of the most off in the distance Owls I have spotted in my days of birding.  As I search out these Owls this season, no matter where I go, how far out they are from me, I'm still enjoying the views and am nearly as excited with each one as compared to the first almost one month ago.

So, that was #5 and later that night, after work, on my way home, I spotted #4 along the 401 once again.  And then the next day, I came across Owl #6.

It was a cold rainy Friday morning and I set out once again for a couple hours before work.  I always have my hopes up but I am never expecting in my outings.  One just can't predict wildlife.  But luck have it, I spotted the bird in another lakefront park quite some ways out on the ice.  It was funny because I swear he just appeared since I scoped the area minutes earlier with nothing and then suddenly I saw the lump.


I was quite excited to see this bird after a lengthy damp dismal walk of the park!  I followed my way around the shoreline in hopes of a better view of the bird and lucky me, he stayed put.

Obviously he was aware of my presence but not bothered enough to take flight and flee from me.  I wasn't aggressive in my walk of the shore and there was no way I intended on creeping out onto the ice for a closer shot.  Note, ice or no ice, I don't believe in invading their personal space.  It's just not my thing.

So, I passed the bird some and found the shore went further out into the water just west of the bird.  I decided to try that spot for a great view and a few more photos.

Here I tried shooting through the crook of a tree.  I was using the tree as a blind, hiding my body from the Owl.

I stepped to the left of the tree and tried a few more pics just as the rain was getting heavier.
This was freaking awesome!  I had never seen such a heavily barred Snowy Owl before.  And experts birding buds tell me this is a young female.  I knew it was a young'un as most of them venturing out from the tundra right now are young birds in search of food after a very good breeding year. 

I'm falling asleep as I key this.  It has been an exhausting few days after that awful ice storm here in Southern Ontario.  I wonder how the birds fared through the storm and who is still around?  Word is some of the recent visiting Owls have disappeared, and people guess they moved across Lake Ontario and into the USA now.

My goal, as some know, is to beat my record of 13 Snowys back in the 2011 invasion.  That's just 8 more Owls to go.  Think I can do it?  Care to cheer me on? 

If you missed my last Owl blog, here it is.  It seems to be a popular one with friends.  I hope you enjoy it too.

No comments: