Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

April 12, 2009

Wincott Wetlands





Over this past Easter weekend, we ended up at a local man-made pond called "Wincott Wetlands" which many creatures have taken up as a seasonal home. Despite the garbage about the grounds these Mallard Ducks, Canada Geese, Red Winged Blackbirds, Mourning Doves and Common Grackles still reside here. It is awesome that the city and community came up with this great idea to have a nature setting developed where one was not before, a big (and once) beautiful pond; but shameful at the same time as it seems nobody comes around too often to give it a good clean up. I know after the snow melts anywhere, garbage is found in abundance... cans, plastic bags blowing around and whatever else. This place though... rusted steel tire rims, a mattress, a shopping cart stand out more than anything.



I am curious if there is a community clean up day? While this settling is not exactly in my community (over by my parents'). I'd probably step in with a group of people and take action for an afternoon... not for the surrounding residences by any means, but for the wildlife of course.



I guess that is life in the city and as with humans, the animals also learn to adapt. It is unfortunate that while they did not make the mess, they are the ones who must live in it. Would the people of the area like to live in such a mess? Probably not, but then again, you never know...



5 comments:

socurly said...

I find this time of year disgracefull in our city. I just go with garbage bags and clean up whenever I can in my area.

Angie in T.O. said...

I think community clean up days are a great idea! And as the above post said, why wait. It wouldn't hurt us to grab a couple garbage bags and just do it!

Rob said...

That's really good of you "socurly"; we need more like you around.

Yes, I can see Ang getting out there and just doing that. I've seen you take action in the parks before.

Now, not to be a downer, what do we do with the garbage though? Since the city started this whole rule with the amount of trash we are allowed to toss... sadly, more and more people are throwing their garbage elsewhere to avoid paying to get it taken away.

Teena in Toronto said...

People are lazy and rude and spoiled!

Looks like you had a nice stroll. We went to Humber Bay East Park on Friday and there were lots of birds. You guys would have known what they were ... robins, geese and cardinals was all I knew.

socurly said...

Rob, I hope you don't mind me posting this link but I think you will love it. It's a clip of Christian the lion. I cry every time I watch it. That lion's face so touching!.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNTdWbVBgc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvCjyWp3rEk