Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

January 26, 2019

She-Beast

We've had random visits from a Cooper'a Hawk the last couple weeks. For the most part I haven't seen the bird as it hides really well nearby. The lack of other birds is a sign. The stressed out Squirrels is another. While watching the birds from the kitchen window, I have seen the Hawk fly in or through the yard chasing other birds.

This winter I've gone a week or more without seeing my Pigeon pals Dorothy, Fitz and Charlie. I'd rather them be away and hopefully in a safer spot. I am sure this is not the only Cooper's Hawk around; January 20th proved that when I saw two in our backyard.

I really cannot differentiate these Hawks. Sometimes I think observing their attitude and hunting technique may help. Remember the unique hunter I had here a little while ago? Something about this Hawk from this past weekend reminded me of that bird. She came to ground and disappeared inside our Holly bush, trying to catch a hiding Sparrow.

It's been interesting watching this Hawk. She caught a Pigeon on both days. I did not see either take down, which I am okay with. It's a lot easier to watch things after the struggle is over from the prey, especially when one has a soft spot for these "victims".

Usually the Hawk is done with a Pigeon in an hour or so, something smaller, half the time. It's a matter of catch it, kill it, and eat it. This bird, this weekend, it went on for hours. Saturday was easily 3 hours of leisurely consumption. Sunday was even longer. She plucked. She ate. She had a time out and watched the world around her. There was a lot of personal preening happening throughout the meal too, leaving it and flying to a nearby branch!


As for these photos, anything from Saturday was me outside after I thought she had left. I was going to photograph some Cardinals and Nuthatches in the snowfall. Turns out the Hawk was still here and right behind our Holly bush. I guess she learned from me that this is a good hiding spot? Ha ha. She startled me as she flushed with the last remains of the bird. She carried it further down near our shed. I took some photos from where I stood, maybe moving side to side, but not any closer.

Sunday, after over 3 hours since I initially saw her, I looked out the window again and she was sitting in the snow, looking rather full and proud of herself. I decided it was a good time to try for some photos and went out the front door, sneaking up the side of the house and making my way to my viewing blind being the Holly bush. She was down near the shed. I could see she had consumed most of the Pigeon by this time. I took that the distance between the Holly bush to the shed was an acceptable distance for us, going by the play out one day before. I still took a very slow (quiet) approach to getting to the bush, being as quiet as possible. My light steps seemed to amplify in the snow.

The Hawk seemed to take little notice to my presence. Squirrels were running up and down nearby trees nattering at her. Chickadees and White-breasted Nuthatches vocalized their disapproval too. She was pretty much "ya, whatever" to the complaints.

Here are a few photos from the two encounters with her.

Saturday it was dark and stormy all day. She is way down back. Full zoom and some further cropping to the images.


I hate to think that is Dorothy (one of my hand feeder pals) because the wings are the same and even the chest pattern looks very similar. I didn't see her out there but I wasn't glued to the window watching all morning. Time will tell I suppose. February would mark 1 year with Dorothy coming to visit.


Oh Dorothy!


Sunday was an exceptional encounter. The lighting was much better. It wasn't storming. The temperature was around -30 Celsius with the wind chill. Brrrr!


I thought I spooked her and away she went; but I think it was the two p'od Squirrels who were right above her in the trees, racing up and down, jumping on the fence.


She landed about 15 ft over and I wasn't complaining about her being in better light.




About 4 pm, she flew off, leaving the last of the Pigeon on the ground. I thought that was it for the day. She had her fill. I happened to be looking out the window near 5 pm and caught sight of her flying in, grabbing the carcass, and then flying off out of the yard. I assume she took it with her to wherever she was roosting for the night?

As I key this blog, 9 Pigeons have come in. None are my pals. I call these "the commoners". They don't seem to be very wary of the threat that has been here lately; so perhaps these are some new birds who may learn the hard way this morning? Wouldn't that be fortunate for the She-beast (as I call her now)?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your yard fascinates us. What next Rob?

Brad

Karen said...

We were sad that one of our chickadees was targeted, but all of us have to eat.