Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

February 6, 2019

Farewell Dorothy?


It's with almost full certainty that my friend Dorothy did meet her demise to the Cooper's Hawk a few weeks back. I've seen Fitz and Charlie since that weekend, most of the recognized flock, including Dorothy's unnamed partner. I know the Pigeons have lengthy time outs from the backyard at this time of year but I don't think that is the case here. As you can see, Dorothy's chest feathers are unmistakable, and I am sure I saw that with what was left in the talons of the Hawk.

To most, she was just a Pigeon, one of many; but she was one of my friends. I know this is the way of the wild and I don't begrudge the Hawk doing what it does.

Dorothy was a sweet bird, gentle to me, but carried her own in the flock. She didn't let the bigger birds, like Fitz, push her around. She came into the yard at a good time last year, just weeks after I watched my old flock fly off for the very last time (assuming they had enough of the terror from the Cooper's Hawk). This month would have marked 1 year with Dorothy.


I will be pleasantly surprised if she shows up at the kitchen window again, but I feel it deep down, she won't.

Dorothy, like so many others, has made our backyard a special place.


Having a few befriend me periodically is good for my soul. They help me forget the nonsense of the world around us.


How can someone call her a "flying rat"?


My famous line to people, which I am sure I have posted here in the past, "I always know where I stand with a Pigeon, it's people you never know what you're going to get".


Thanks for your friendship little one, and the memories.

8 comments:

Smarkle said...

I'm sorry for your loss. Nature is cruel but it's the way of the world. You're such a good animal friend

Unknown said...

I am so sad that Dorothy is probably gone.
I can empathize with you because you know of my close relationship with my yard Birds ( especially Bluebirds). I get mixed emotions feeding them so they feel comfortable but yet nervous that I’m making it easier for predators.
I hope your other friends remain safe. ❤️

Lisa said...

Rob your a amazing man and the best way to judge a person's character is by animals.
I'm positive to other pigeons you were a human but to Dorothy you were a safe and comfortable friend and without doubt she loved you. RIP Dorothy ❤

Angie in T.O. said...

This blog makes me sad. :(

Unknown said...

I also feel very sad reading your blog today, she was gorgeous, she was so lucky to had the opportunity to meet you and get a different and a better life, I'm pretty sure in her little heart she loved you so much. I'm sorry.

Anonymous said...

Oh man. Sorry Rob and Dorothy. Hopefully you are mistaken and she comes back soon.

Dave One said...

True friendship , so sorry for your loss Rob.

Debbie G. said...

Aw, I'm sorry to hear it, Rob. The sad truth of making friends with animals, particularly wild ones, is that you're likely going to outlive them. It's a tough thing to take but the trade-off is the joy they bring to you while you know them. You're a good friend to all animals, Rob.