Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

January 10, 2019

So This Happened...

On the weekend we had morning visits from an Opossum. If you read my last blog, you already knew that. He showed up 8:30 the one morning, and then 11:30 the next. A great sighting for us fans of these animals. Being avid participants with Project Feeder Watch Canada, we are attentive to the backyard for birds, and anything else that might come through.

I looked out for him Monday and Tuesday without any sightings.

Then Wednesday morning, not entirely thinking about it in my waking moment, just got the coffee going, when I look out the kitchen window and there he was roaming around way down back. I quickly bundle up and out I go as stealth-like as I possibly can. Once again I use our holly bush as my viewing blind. I watch. I take a few photos.

Wandering in front of the shed.


Where is he going? If you can see what is in the background, you know I'm getting a little excited.


At this moment I am like "Holy S**t!" in my brain.



I'm just shooting away to this moment, not looking at how the shots are turning out. Thank goodness they are decent enough to help tell this tale.



Woo hoo!


And in he goes.


Now from where I've been hiding, the distance to the dog house is roughly 40 ft. I stayed motionless throughout this encounter and did not make a sound neither. Unfortunately a few minutes later out he comes again, going back under the shed, out the hole in the lattice under the doors, and he's heading towards the house. I'm still at the holly bush, still hunkered down.



It was right after this photo below that I wish someone else was there with me. Someone who could have taken a picture of what happened next.


The Opossum was heading straight towards me. He did not know I was there. He got maybe 3 or 4 ft from me, when he stopped. He realized I was there, unintentionally blocking his path. I did not move. I did not speak. I just looked at him. He looked at me. I'm sure I could not hold back the growing smile on my face though. It was probably only a few seconds but felt longer. He then walked around me, quite close I might add. It was not a full on run for his life neither, just the pace he had going previously. And then just like the mornings on the weekend, he went up the side of the house, to the front, crossing the street and off behind a neighbour's house to sleep the day away.


I'm hoping he, or another, might make good steady use of our dog house at some point this winter. The house is packed full of straw to help keep an animal warm. Plus I really hate seeing them cross roads, even our small street.

I also hope for one day that a Screech Owl uses this Owl box as well. I've seen a Screech Owl a few times in the backyards. I've heard one a couple other times. I've found pellets on the roof of our shed. We had one in our other box. It can happen. Imagine that! A Screech Owl in the box with an Opossum in the house just behind. No I am not greedy at all!


Stay tuned for any updates. There is a follow button on the right side of the screen if that makes things easier for you.

8 comments:

Tammie said...

What a sight that would have been: watching you watch an opossum that's watching you! :D

Dave One said...

Great blog Rob. Hopefully he’ll become familiar enough with you to stay in the yard when your out there. Love this blog and your pictures actual and mental love the way you tell a story.

Anonymous said...

So jelly! The only possums I ever see are the dead ones on the road.

sweetkeet said...

Awesome photos & report, eh? I had oneca few years ago, and watched IN HORROR as a Cooper's Hawk killed it in my yard. What are the chances, eh? Diurnal bird, nocturnal mammal!!

Karen said...

I'm so excited for you! Maybe, with any luck, it's a female who will choose to nest in the box! People think they are so gross, but it's my understanding they eat some of our worst vermin.

Nicole Corrado said...

Very cute resident of the doghouse! Mystery solved!

Smarkle said...

Finally got a chance to have a good read. Love this! I hope he's a regular visitor to the yard. Imagine babies? Squeeeeee lol

Richa Agrwal said...

Great Article. As someone have just starting out in the world of blogging, I need all the tips I can get. I am so grateful for some simple, easy to implement Advice by
Website-designing company-gurgaon