Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

February 1, 2021

Frosty Walk

Well it looks like winter has finally kicked around here in southern Ontario.  A bit of snow and some bone chilling temperatures.  It's the perfect time for a walk in nature and most likely be the only one with nature.  That has been a difficult thing to do as the pandemic continues.  It's great that more people are outside but it also sucks that more people are outside.  More people in the parks, the less wildlife to be found.

Anyway, I had a really nice morning walk with bright sun and that real feel of -18 Celsius was barely noticeable.

Here are just a few of the highlights from my 90 minute walk.

I chanced upon this long-eared owl.  He was as surprised to see me as I was to see him.  I quickly backed up once I realized I was in his presence.  These are very skittish owls and flush easily at the sight of humans.  I whispered an apology to the bird as I lightly back stepped away from the grove of trees.  Thankfully he did not flush; I always feel bad when they do.

Further along in my travels I was treated to the sight of about two dozen common redpolls feeding on what I believe are alder berries.  I've seen these birds randomly this winter in the various green spaces I go for walks.  We even had one in our backyard for an afternoon a couple weeks ago.  Such pretty little birds that we don't get every winter.

From there I found a small group of black-capped chickadees who were all willing to come in for a feed from my hand.  It was a steady flow of the birds and I was happy to just stand there and be their personal bird feeder.  Before I knew it, 30 minutes had gone by.  Time sure flies when you're having fun!  Angie and I normally partake in this every New Year's Day if we can find them.

I wished I had more time to stay out there but I had to get back to my regular routine... going to work.

My walk ended with seeing an old friend.

The second wave of this pandemic has been difficult for me, more so than the first.  I know I am not the only one.  Time out in nature with the wild ones takes me away from it all.  I hope we find our way out of this at some point this year, or at the very least heading and staying in the right direction.

How are you all doing? 

5 comments:

Tammie said...

Managing up here but I swear, I have never spent so much time at home! Have to say your LE Owl & chickadee photos are my favourites from this piece. :)

Angie said...

Beautiful photos. Birds are awesome! Enjoy your day!🐦🦉

gilda92 said...

Oh so good to hear from you. I thought it was a long time since your last email.
Your before-work-walk sounds GOOD! Please go for more walks and report more often.

Anonymous said...

have to leave a comment in order to prove I'm not a robot.I'm not a robot.
Do robots like to read Rob's musings on the birds and animals he encounters?

Karen said...

My partner and I are so lucky to live here in the woods of E.Ontario. We are seeing chickadees, blue jays and red polls at the feeder. The odd gaggle of assorted sparrows and finches, and evening grossbeaks wander through, but they don't hang around.
No sign of the neighbourhood owls in some time. There has been a logging crew back of us on the crown land and I think they've got the wild things in a tizzy. We have a single coyote and a single WOLF hanging about! The wolf has a huge footprint compared to the coyote or my dog. I wish we could get an actual sighting.