Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

February 7, 2021

SuperbOwl Sunday

Hey, it's Super Bowl Sunday.  Woo hoo!  Honestly I really couldn't give a f**k.  HA!  But for many of us bird nerds, we make a "play" on the Super Bowl Sunday, twisting it to Superb Owl Sunday.  Owls really are a superb bird, aren't they?  

So how about a few superb owl sightings of mine, most are fairly recent.

I really wanted to see a barred owl this season and when a friend tipped me about one not too far from our home, I wasted no time in going up to see it.

It was nice to finally see one again after a couple years.  It was a bonus that there was no one else viewing the owl.  

Then just weeks later, another friend tipped me to a barred much closer to our home.  Angie and I sought it out late one afternoon and were successful in finding the bird.  Another moment of just us and the bird.  Magical!


I chanced upon another eastern screech owl near our home.  All the little songbirds told me where he was sleeping.  I tell people it pays to listen as much as look when out for a walk in the woods.  Proof is right here...


We were blessed with three northern saw-whet owls in the tail end of 2020.  Hoping to see another before they return to the northern regions.




As we move along through the second half of winter, my owl sights will be on the great horned owl.  I'm hoping to find one out there somewhere other than the pair in High Park.  It's nothing against that pair, I just like to try and find one on my own, well away from the popular spots.  That doesn't mean I won't try to see the HP birds at some point as well.  Just sayin'

If you've been a long time reader of my blogs, you might remember Grace the great horned.  I named her that because the sightings were very random.  She spent certain times of the year in a park around the corner from us.  I would say she graced me with her presence from time to time for six years.  She definitely was a superb owl!  Wish me luck in my upcoming searches.


I will be blogging again very soon about a certain superb owl I have known for many years.  Stay tuned!

Thanks for popping in.  Enjoy your Super Bowl Sunday however you like.  Cheers!


No comments: