Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

December 9, 2020

Peculiar Squirrel

We have a rather bald squirrel visiting the backyard lately. 


He's very young looking in the face.  Angie and I noticed him a couple weeks ago, before he was bald. We thought he looked rather fresh out of a nest.  He could be a twin to this squirrel we had the other summer. We thought he was orphaned as he was out on his own at a very young age.  We named him Chewie.

Now he's balding.  I suspect mites.  I see many of our other squirrels go through this in February of all months, even Ripper.  Not exactly the best time of year to be losing fur.

Now here is why I have titled this blog "Peculiar Squirrel"...  my trail camera is catching him out in the garden well into the night.  What's up with that?

Here he is on December 5th.

Again on December 6th.

Early into December 9th.

He's going to be Great Horned Owl chow if he's not careful.  I know there's a pair in the golf course just north of us.  I've heard them from the backyard.  So while it's not a great chance he will get taken out by one, the possibility is there.

Why is he out every night like this?  I wonder if he's just not found a suitable place to sleep at night?  Maybe he's not getting enough to eat during the day?  Not that there's a buffet of food after dark, and he's got to work around the local raccoons and skunks too.

This has to be one of my favourite cam captures in weeks.

He's made the backyard a little more interesting, that's for sure.  I'm starting to look out for him every morning and he does show up.

Hopefully he figures things out, like how a squirrel is supposed to act.  Or at the very least, hopefully he does okay living the way he is...  and grows some fur back soon!

Any of you have any thoughts on this?

1 comment:

Tammie said...

Aw, poor thing! Nature is harsh at this time of year. I'm hearing/seeing lots of stories online about critters with mange or mites. Hope your little friend will be okay.