Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

April 25, 2020

Robin Kinda Day

While practicing physical distancing as much as possible, I can still volunteer with Toronto Wildlife when the need arises and my schedule is open. Today was one of those times. It was a simple task, pick up a successfully rehabbed American Robin and drive it back to the area where it was found. Funny is it was in one of my old, on occasion, stomping grounds back in high school. Some of my friends lived up in this part of Rexdale. Seeing the old buildings, recognizing some of the side streets and even passing my old high school on the way home was good for a few memories.

The Robin was certainly happy to be free. He burst out of the box when I had barely gotten the top opened.


I get home and spot a robin on our front lawn. As I got out of the car, a robin flies out of one of our hedges at the front of the house. Hmmmm? I suspected a few weeks back that they were looking to build a nest in this hedge. Then at one point I thought they changed their mind(s) and moved to a neighbour's tree across the street. I even looked for a nest a couple times but never saw one. Now, seeing the female jet out of the hedge today, I figured it was time for another look.

I'm unsure the actual species of bush it is but it is a conifer and tightly grown if that makes sense. The branches are firm and close together but there are some openings and the robins chose one to build within. They have a good canopy of foliage above to shelter them from the elements. It's well camouflaged. It's about 5 feet above ground. I'd like to think the nest is quite safe where it is. My only issue is that it is right along the side with our walkway to the front door. I know in the coming weeks, especially after work, I will be entering the house from the back door so as to not disturb them.

Here is an over the nest photo I took with my phone. This is the only way to see what is going on.


I will be sure to update in the coming weeks on how things are going. Let's wish them well.

3 comments:

Karen said...

They are so perfectly beautiful

Tammie said...

I always have Robins in my neighbourhood but haven't had them nest in the yard in a few years now. Oddest one I saw here was in my neighbour's birch tree, on an almost flat branch but it was only about 2 feet off the ground!
Good luck to your little family. :)

Nicole Corrado said...

What a nice story! So glad you could help and see the great results!