Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

April 27, 2020

Look Who's Back!

I had quite the surprise on Sunday afternoon. I was in the backyard and in flew a male Hairy Woodpecker. He was in our lilac tree and looking at me like he knew me. You know, just looking at me rather intently, head bobbing up and down. Instantly I thought is that you Harry? We call all the male Hairy Woodpeckers "Harry" but last summer we had a unique one some of you might recall. We had a hand feeding Hairy Woodpecker.

Luckily I had some shelled peanuts in my pocket. I pulled them out and extended my hand to the bird. There was no hesitation, he went right for them.


How cool is that?

Harry disappeared early in the autumn season like what happens every year for us and having this species of woodpecker for the most part. We may get random visits through the winter but nothing frequent and he wasn't coming around. I suspect they go off to the nearby woodlot, Lambton Woods. It's also known to some as Woodpecker Woods. Really I don't know but that makes sense to me.

I'm thrilled he is back. He showed up again this morning.

It's this kind of stuff that makes our backyard a very special place. It also makes it a lot easier to stay home like health officials plead all of us to do.

Hopefully Harry shows up with his kids again this summer. They are fun to watch.

Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Tammie said...

That's awesome he returned AND he remembered you!

Debbie G. said...

Amazing!