Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

February 12, 2019

Meet Claire!

I had thought about doing this blog last week, but out of respect for Dorothy I chose not to. No apologies to anyone stumbling in here not liking Pigeons. Hey, it's my blog, my backyard, my visitors. I live in Toronto and Pigeons are a big part of it. Pigeons and I have come a long way.

Anyway, this bird has been coming around for a number of months, probably since last summer. She certainly stands out in the flock that she flies with.


I've always taken notice to her when she is here. She walks around with the others, feeding from the ground and I thought had paid little attention to me.

On Tuesday January 29th she surprised me by flying to our picnic table, looking up at me, and then flying on to my arm. There was no coaxing involved. I was tossing millet to the ground for these birds; none of my hand feeders were present so I wasn't throwing the good stuff down. I know she's been here when Charlie, Fitz and/or Dorothy have been here and obviously was paying attention. I was happily surprised by her actions. I quickly got out the good stuff being raw sunflower chips and she gobbled them up. I gave her another handful. Gone in minutes. Then a third handful. As she ate, I could not help but feel her bones protruding through her skin. Much like some other birds I've befriended in the past, she was a real light weight and probably very hungry.


I'd like to think these birds know that I will look out for them, I will not hurt them, and in my hand they are safe from the bullies in the flock. Suddenly there was an alarm call from a Sparrow and the birds were gone in a flash.

She returned the following day, the day after that, and so on right up until Saturday.


Each time it was in for a good feed and then quickly gone again (they know danger lurks). The visits have been between 12:30 and 1 pm. Interesting how she had a schedule. Breakfast came from somewhere else. I was the lunch spot it seemed. Angie got to meet her on that Saturday and named her Claire (Angie gets to name most of the critters here).


A Cooper's Hawk had been showing once again and the Pigeons disappeared. Four day later Claire returned with some friends. It's been like that the last week. Not daily visits. Just random and early afternoon. She made me miss getting my Tim Horton's coffee before work the first day. That was a bit frustrating but forgiven. I just made sure the following days I was all set to leave for work before she arrived.

Claire is a gentle sweet bird and I hope she's with us for a very long time.

4 comments:

Dave One said...

So cool love your relationship with these birds (both of you) birds know when you are a kind soul so obviously they will gravitate towards that. One of the most amazing feelings in the world is hand feeding birds the fact that they trust you enough to let you do that is amazing.Welcome Claire!

Tammie said...

Wow, she sure is a beauty!

Debbie G. said...

What a smart girl. I'm glad you have a new regular visitor!

Andrea said...

Claire is beautiful. I’ve always had a soft spot for pigeons and doves. They are so slow and very friendly.
People blame them for inhabiting urban areas but when you’re not too quick, the city has better pickins.
Like me you’ve been chosen by wildlife... isn’t it a blessing? To know that these creatures have decided to fight their instincts and share themselves with us is just so unusual and truly a compliment. They know good people.
Thank you for your lovely blog!

Best,
Andrea :) πŸΏπŸ’•