Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

August 3, 2018

Screeeeeeeech!

So, Wednesday night after work, I'm home and out back. I'm refilling the bird baths and basins. I'm watching a couple Raccoons wandering around as well as 2 Skunks. All is nice. I am so glad to be here, in my happy place, and away from the sweat shop that is work. If you're here in Southern Ontario, you know what I'm talking about. We're all sweaty messes with this hot and humid Summer.

Anyway, suddenly I hear the whinny of an Eastern Screech Owl in one of the trees along the fence line. I freak right out inside. I cannot see the Owl with all the leaves but I can hear him loud and clear.

Having an Owl in the backyard is pretty sweet. But for me, since I've seen a number of Screech Owls the last bunch'a years, it was hearing him call away that really kicked things up. I loooooooooooooove their eerie calls! This is the 2nd time I've ever heard the whinny call; usually it's the trill.

Random Screech Owl photo of mine just for reference.


After I pick my jaw up from the lawn, I dash inside to get my camera. I want to document something. As I'm fumbling around, I hear Angie stir, and she calls out to me. Uh oh! I woke up my wife. Angie gets up at 4:30 am so accidentally waking her after 11 pm isn't very nice. But there was no upset about this when I sprung the news to her of what was happening. She said "I'm coming outside" and quickly threw some clothes on and joined me out back.

Unfortunately there was no more calls from the Owl. We waited a number of minutes and then tried playing some calls. Still nothing. Darn.

Angie did get a consolation prize of sorts by seeing Topper out there, walking right past us. We've not been blessed with many day time views of the Skunks in a couple months so it was nice for her to see him again.


The other Skunk was seen in the garden.

Who knows where the Raccoons disappeared to though?

"Nyah nyah! You missed me!"


We went back inside. I wanted to make my drink before this night turned into Thursday morning in about 30 minutes. Angie decided to join me for a couple shots. Awesome! Then she went back to bed.

I love my Whisky Wednesdays but this one was the best I've had for as long as I can remember. Don't worry, the whisky kittys got some love and attention a little bit later on.

1 comment:

Tammie said...

What an experience that must have been!! We don't have Screechies up here.