Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

September 13, 2018

Weekend Walks

Angie and I have gotten into the habit of going for Sunday morning walks, even with some very warm mornings we've endured this Summer. We go early. We have no expectations. And they've been great. The key really is to have no expectations, just enjoy whatever comes along, oh, and go early before it really gets hot out.

Here is a bit of what we've seen lately.

One of two juvenile Turkey Vultures roosting in a tree near the path. The black face threw us just for a moment, as the adults have red faces. Neither of us had ever seen a juvi until this morning.


Wild Turkey in a tree that same morning. Sure some regions in Southern Ontario these birds are quite common, but locally to us in the west end of Toronto, not so much.


There's always a bit of mystery, like trying to ID some of the Flycatchers we see. This is one of them we still need to figure out. Any suggestions?


There's been a lot of American Goldfinches buzzing around as August is their time for nesting. I've been told it is because that is when their food source is at it's peak. Interesting. The cries of the young Goldfinches are unmistakable.


The sightings we enjoy aren't just birds.

This American Toad posed nicely along the path one morning. Caption worthy I'd say!


A DeKay's Brownsnake that Angie spotted when we separated for a bit. I've not seen this species in over 5 years!


A wee little butterfly called a Pearl Crescent.


A Black Swallowtail butterfly.


Over the Labour day weekend we saw dozens upon dozens of Monarchs in a field. They were non-stop. It was nothing short of a magical experience. This is an older photo of mine that I am using as for whatever reason, I did not take any shots of the monarchs last outing.


And lastly, a Black & Yellow Garden spider that once again, Eagle-eye Angie spotted for me last weekend. Another species I've not seen in years! It was funny because days before I had seen some posts of this species that people were coming across in their regions, and my mom sent me a photo of one she saw at my aunt's. I was a little envious. Then, just like that, we have one on our next walk.


These walks are a highlight for us both every weekend.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Good shot of the little snake. They are very elusive little guys. For some reason they like to hang out around our front porch and occasionally sneak in.

EvaB said...

Great stories as usual!!!!