Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

December 22, 2014

Pierre Returns!

Recently we had a number of visits from a Cooper's Hawk and I blogged about her, see here

That Pigeon was the last thing I saw her take out, which was on a Friday. She hung around all of the weekend but was unsuccessful in any further catches. She was the first bird to arrive both Saturday and Sunday with my bird counts for Project Feeder Watch, and I watched her give chase to the Cardinals and Blue Jays. It was a dismal count weekend that's for sure.

But then the Hawk moved on it seemed and I've not seen her since (watch her spring into the yard now as I key this).

As far as I know, none of my hand feeding flock were present that morning she got the Pigeon. But they all knew. I did not see another Pigeon for some days afterwards.

First in, 5 days later, was my pal Snake... left bird.

Second bird, Mickey, 7 days later.

Slowly the birds were coming back, testing the area, and I believe word was spreading it's looking safe once again.

I knew it was a matter of time for my boy to come home. And sure enough, 8 days later, Pierre came in.

First sight of him outside the back door, he was all flared out, excited, head bobbing and cooing like crazy at me. This happens when we don't see each other for a number of days, especially when some crazy s**t had been going on like a Hawk or some nasty spell of weather. The coo's all sound the same but I am sure they mean something different with the scenarios.

And on the 9th day, all the birds came back. I have 6 hand feeders and everyone was present. Of course the birds are still paranoid and the slightest scream from a Jay sends them scurrying.

I feel for them being so scared to be here but I take comfort in knowing they know well enough to keep their distance when such a threat is present. Who says "Pigeons are stupid birds?"

Busy times coming with Christmas just days away. I wish you all a very happy, healthy and safe holiday season no matter how you spend it.

No comments: