Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

October 26, 2023

Happy Day!

I had a bad sleep last night with a few wake ups throughout the night not of my own doing.  I found myself getting up around 6:40 AM which is much too early for a guy who only went to bed around 12:30 AM.  I put the coffee on and inhaled it rather quickly.  It was so early and now with the java in my system, going back to bed for some more sleep wasn't going to happen.  I decided to grab my jacket and jeans and go for a walk in a park nearby since owls are on the move now and I'd like to see my first saw-whet or long-eared owl of the season.  Just before I was about to leave, I heard a lot of ruckus coming from the backyard.  House sparrows were screaming and the blue jays were going absolutely ballistic.  I knew without a doubt that there was a predator in the yard; but what?  Or should I say "hooooooooo?"

It took little time looking before I spotted a blue jay almost face to face with an eastern screech owl in the tree near our back gate.  Immediately I asked in my head, "is that Little Al"?

A few blue jays strafed the owl as it sat in this tree.  Occasionally the owl hissed at the attackers.  As you can see, I went back for my camera and took some photos on this dark drizzly morning.  I also tried for a video which isn't easy using a 500 mm lens and no tripod (too early, too lazy are my excuses for not having it out there).

This all lasted for a number of minutes before the owl took flight and went straight into the box.  Seconds later it popped its head out and just stayed there at the edge, looking out and about the yard.  It was Little Al, that I am certain of.

He stayed like this for at least 30 minutes and eventually the other birds backed off, leaving him be, and then Little Al started to relax.  I took the pictures from the deck as I didn't want to add to his stress.  I know he knew I was there but I think he also knows that I really don't pose a threat, especially from this distance.  If you have read my past posts about Little Al, I can go about the yard when he is out there and he doesn't flush from the box or even retreat inside.  He barely looks at me.  Heck, last winter Angie made a snow angel not far from the tree while he sat up there, looking down at her.  I should add that video to YouTube for better sharing.  It was something to see.  How many can say that they made a snow angel in the presence of an owl?  Anyway...

Soon after he disappeared inside.  This is the view now from our kitchen window.  No owl to be seen and no birds screaming at the box.  One would never guess that there's one in there.

Here's to the start of a third year with him visiting during the fall and winter season!  

I should add that he shows up sometime in the fall and hangs out here throughout the winter and into March or April.  He's not here everyday, and last year it seemed to be only on the coldest or crappiest of days.  We could have him for two weeks solid and then he's gone for a week or so.  Then he's back.  He sure keeps us guessing.  We were already talking about him a few weeks ago, hoping to see him again this season and he's granted that wish to us.

I know Angie cannot wait to get home from work and hopefully see him later in the day.

No comments: