Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

December 1, 2021

Anniversary Surprise

So yesterday, November 30th, was Angie and I's 9th wedding anniversary. 

We have the week booked off for vacation time and just doing a bit of this and that, here and there throughout the week.  We're enjoying the extra time together and not having to go to work.

At some point in the afternoon of the 30th I step out back and in flies a pigeon.  It was Charlie!  I hadn't seen Charlie in roughly 2 months.  She's been hiding away from here due to the hawk activity, at least that's how I see things.  Some of the birds do this through the winter months.  You may recall Charlie disappeared for a really long spell last winter, 70+ days I believe, maybe 90 (I'd have to look back for a more accurate number but it was a very long time).  I thought she was gone for good but one day she returned, landing on her usual spot outside the back door on the clothes line post.  Yesterday she did exactly that as well.

On our wedding morning, before we started the ceremony in the kitchen, I was having a time out with Pierre at the back door.  I joke that he was one of our witnesses, perhaps even my best man.  There were more animals present at our wedding than humans.  Pierre is no longer with us but this is one of those special memories of him that I will never forget.  That's the clothesline post behind us in the picture.

Having Charlie here with me on our anniversary was nice, especially after her absence. 

I know Pierre was here in spirit.

I don't seem to get a lot of love with my blogs about the pigeons but that's okay.  These birds certainly did change me as a person and it all started with my big boy.

I aim to be back with another blog next week, sharing a handful of catch up bits of some cool creature sightings the last few weeks.  

See you soon!

6 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

I like your pigeon story. We've critters we've named, as well. I am amazed you can tell yours apart!

Tammie said...

I don't know how you tell them apart either but I'm sure if I saw them regularly as you do, there are certain features each bird has. They are beautiful & I'm quite jealous! And again, Happy Anniversary! :)

Angie said...

I truly enjoy your blog. I like reading about all the critters you blog about! Thank you for sharing. My husband doesn't like the internet, but I show him your critter pictures & I read your posts to him each time & he truly likes it. He loves owls so much! I love all critters, especially birds. I just feel drawn to them. The ones around here (western NC) get fussy if I'm late feeding them. A couple of the tiny ones(sparrows, I believe) will even look in my window, like they're saying 'Where's our food?". They're so cool. 🐦🦉🦩🕊

Karen said...

We never see pigeons on our patch at the edge of Algonquin Park. I was excited to see the first evening grosbeaks last week though.
There are lots of hawks around.

Nicole Corrado said...

Happy Anniversary!

Nancee said...

Rob, Happy Anniversary. I am so happy that you befriend pigeons. Wish more people did.