Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

November 18, 2020

Coyote Encounter 2020

 A morning stroll had me cross paths with this beautiful girl.

My first sighting of her had us about 50 ft apart.

I froze in my tracks.  Not out of fear but out of awe, and curiosity as I wondered what she was going to do next now that we were looking at each other.  I was heading north on the path and she was heading south.  After this short pause, she started to walk again, continuing in my direction.  I stayed still and took in the moment.

At approximately 15 to 20 ft from me, she stopped.  Our eyes met again.

I guess she considered me a road block and decided to go around me, stepping off the path and passing me on my left.  She still wasn't more than 15 to 20 ft from me.

I remained standing where I was, only twisting my body to take more photos.

It was when she came back out onto the path behind that I turned around so I could continue enjoying this one on one moment with her.

Seconds later she squatted and did her business right there, having a pee along the side of the path!

Then she kicked up the leaves after she was done.  I was really getting a show from the coyote like I have never experienced before.

It was obvious that by this time I was no longer anything in this coyote's world.  She didn't give me another glance and then continued on her way south.  I found it interesting how she was staying on the path.

I had hoped for just one more glance.

That was not to be.  A thought to make some sort of noise to try and get her attention came to mind but I didn't want to ruin the perfect silence here in the woods.

As she went around that last bend, I quietly thanked her.  Holding a little smile, I turned around and continued on my journey.

I saw zero birds of any kind on this walk.  I saw zero humans too, which was fine by me.  Encountering this coyote as I did here made for a nice, very unique outing, something that I won't soon forget.  I rarely see coyotes, especially this close.

She wasn't tame.  She wasn't vicious.  She wasn't sick.  She's just older.  She's obviously been around, seen some s**t in her territory and has defended it as such (my take anyway) judging by the wound on her right eye.  She deserves respect, to which I gave her, and in return she blessed me with a few minutes in her world... allowing me to forget about covid, work and any other stresses in my life.  The encounter played over in my mind throughout the rest of the day, even as I drove about the Pepsi warehouse on my forklift for 8 hours.




4 comments:

Karen said...

Last spring we had a coyote yipping at the front door. Canines are so fascinating!

Tammie said...

This is just so awesome! I greatly valued my quick visit with a coyote on a golf course path a couple of years ago and it was only a couple of seconds. Your visit with this girl was incredible & you're so lucky! Stunning photos of her!

Anonymous said...

I saw your post on Facebook and followed the link to your Blog. Thank you for sharing this ‘normal’ encounter. Your experience I think is what normally happens. The peeing is the ‘marking’ of his/her territory as is the tossing up of the leaves/soil for there are scent glands in the paws. You were on its turf and s/he was just letting you know in its non aggressive manner. Wow what a great remember when for you!

Nicole Corrado said...

Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful encounter with a coyote.