Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

October 14, 2020

Pure Evil

Last week a call went out for a volunteer driver to pick up a very young pigeon.  It was noted that the bird was rescued from a harmful situation.  I was at work and could not assist.  It was later in the afternoon and despite it being JUST a pigeon, I had hoped someone else would pick it up.  I say "JUST" because unfortunately pigeons are quite low on peoples' lists and can wait a long time for help unlike cooler birds such as hawks and owls.  

The next morning I woke up, still saw no other emails regarding the pigeon so I called in to inquire about it, if it still needed a ride and said I would do it if need be.  The bird's location was less than 15 minutes from us, which was good, because it was another work day for me.

No one had called in, so I got the information, and off I went.

I met a woman outside of an apartment building in Rexdale, Ontario.  She had brought the bird down in a milk crate with a couple t-shirts.  The bird was steadily crying.  Hearing baby animals cry always guts me  I got him in my car and then briefly spoke with the woman.  I had to know what about the harmful situation he was saved from.

As it turned out, someone had the little guy and was trying to wedge his neck in the spokes of his bicycle.  It was his intention to then take his bike for a ride with the pigeon stuck in there.  This would certainly kill the bird in a rather cruel and horrific way.

A young man happened to see this guy with the bird, confronted him, and then managed to take the bird from him.  I don't think there was too much of an altercation.  Apparently the individual has "issues" and is known in the community.  I would hope he's being monitored, perhaps even assessed by professionals.  I somehow doubt it.

The bird then spent 3 days in the care of his rescuer and the young man's mother.  They were trying to feed and care for him.  He was too young to feed on his own.  It was then they sought other help.  I later learned another person with an affinity for pigeons advised them to call the Toronto Wildlife Centre.  Then me, also having an affinity for pigeons did the drive.  Pigeon lovers unite!

I held off on this blog until I got an update.  He's doing well, eating, and is comfortable in the centre with his own kind.  Surprisingly, and thankfully, he has no injuries.  He was very lucky that someone who gave a s**t walked by when they did.

He was named Tweeky by his temporary caregivers.  At the centre, he's a patient with a number because they don't personalize the animals.  I will always know him as Tweeky.

Seeing this bird.  Knowing his story.  Having a name to go with that face.  Well it's all touched me so.  I've thought about him every day for almost a week now.  I've been haunted by the terrible tale of what was to become of him if not saved.  It is disturbing to know that this person is out there.  Obviously he's done things to animals before and will do it again.  To even come up with the malicious idea like he had here...  I hope he gets help.  I hope those around him see to it before he makes the news for doing something to another animal or steps up his game to harming another human being.

I've asked that if Tweeky needs a ride one day, to see the wild world again, that I can join in the release or do it myself.  This would be the perfect ending, the closure that I would like to have here.

Here is Tweeky as I transferred him from the milk crate to a card board box in my car.  I knew he couldn't fly yet but having him on a fresh towel in a box that closed up, giving him some darkness to lessen the stress was the intention.  Also the bedding in the milk crate was a little, um, soiled and smelly.  He still cried the whole drive to TWC because he was scared and starving.


Won't you wish him the best?

2 comments:

Debbie G. said...

Oh my gosh! That's horrific! I sincerely hope the boy gets help to a.) protect any other animals he might get his hands on and b.) protect people - torturing animals is a classic stage in the development of a serial killer. Not to be overly dramatic but it sounds like this young man has some very scary demons in his head. But enough about him - thank you for following up and picking Tweeky up, Rob. Thank goodness that boy stepped up to protect him what he saw what was happening to him. I hope Tweeky has nothing but good health and luck from now on. Poor little sweetheart.

Tammie said...

Yup, what Debbie G. said.