Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

February 13, 2020

Trail Cam Captures Vol 3

It's a very quiet winter here for birds in the backyard. I'm hearing this from a lot of people actually. Even the few big snow storms we've had haven't helped bring much in. If I watch long enough, I can usually spot 9 or 10 species of bird in a day, all just doing very quick visits randomly. My pigeon buddies have yet to return.

So the trail cam set up after dark here and there gives me a little something of a boost even though I am not seeing these creatures with my own eyes. Usually I set it up in the garden with a few treats, nothing that they wouldn't find under the bird feeders for the most part. Some nights there's no activity. Some nights it's creatures all throughout. I've caught 4 raccoons, 4 skunks, 2 rabbits and 1 opossum.

The other night I decided to set the cam up pointing to the gate at the side of the house. I wanted to monitor who was coming and going from up the side of the house. That's what these captures are here below. What's interesting is the time stamp with some, how close in time the creatures pass through gate from one another.

A not so striped skunk. Obviously something has caught his eye.


Ah yes, of course, a raccoon.


40 minutes later, here comes another skunk.


9 minutes later, a raccoon.


1 minute later, an opossum.


Please pardon my ID'ing the creatures in the photos as I am sure most of you know what they all are.

Currently I have the cam set to take shots every 20 seconds.  It helps me track the movements more closely than my usual once every minute.  I tried every 5 seconds one night and ended up with almost 1000 captures.

Anyway, it was very quiet the next 4 hours from that opossum photo.  Then as night was coming to an end.  The creatures were heading off to bed.

Good night raccoon.


Good night skunk.


Good night raccoon #2.


Good night raccoon #3.


Good night raccoon #4


Perhaps not all that exciting to someone reading this blog but I find it very interesting.

Here's a few more recent captures.

The rabbit is seen most mornings after 7 am but disappears I'm up around 7:30.


Amazing there's tolerance here with these 3 animals.


I've seen 2 rabbits out back with my own eyes. Not on the cam.


A good place to wash one's privates,  Do you see the other raccoon?


Same 2 still around half an hour later?


The rabbit doesn't seem to care for any of the other night visitors. It's always alone.


This particular night, the opossum spent an hour here in front of the cam.  I'm not sure what he's getting to eat because anything I purposely set out is long gone.


Even with the raccoon coming through, the opossum stuck around till after 6. 


I look forward to milder nights where I can sit out back and watch some of the animals with my own eyes again.

1 comment:

Tammie said...

Sweet! Read the whole thing with a big smile on my face! :)