Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

November 4, 2019

Quick Bits #45

Hello! It's been a busy few weeks with this and that so I have some catching up to do.

For starts, I recently went out looking for Eastern Screech Owls over a couple evenings. The weather hasn't been great but tis the season to try. I lucked out in one spot on the 2nd evening and got what I think is a familiar Owl.

A rufous morph Screech Owl in a certain spot.


I say "familiar" because about a year ago I managed to call in a rufous morph Screech Owl in the same location.


Safe bet it is the same bird, eh?

I am disappointed that one of my reliable spots isn't as so any longer. Ever since the Owls' tree was cut down by the city, they have disappeared. There is a ravine lot nearby where I had seen them as well but not since the tree went.

My record for Screeches in one evening is 7. But really, getting 1 Owl instead of none is still pretty good, right?

The trail cam has not been used as much since it's been so rainy. They say it's okay in rain and snow but I'm not ready to test those waters (pun intended). Nothing out of the ordinary has been coming up when in use but here's a couple interesting bits.

A Raccoon made himself rather comfortable in the dog house.


I can see hay sticking out of the entrance some mornings. I can see it flattened inside from someone laying inside it. I'm considering laying some branches across the front to give it a little more privacy but we shall see.

Another interesting bit the cam caught is a third Skunk in the 'hood. I'd like to think this is Topper. She would only be 2 years of age now.


I encountered this Skunk a couple nights, crossing paths with it. It startled me as much I did it. I immediately started saying "Topper. Hi Topper." and while I did not get the reaction like the good ol' days, the Skunk eased up and continued it's digging in the garden with my presence. I can pretend, right? It's not beyond belief.


We have 2 with the big stripes and this "Topper" one. I know for certain that one of the Skunks lives close by and probably spends some days under our raised shed. It randomly and suddenly appears down there, even with first and last light, and on occasion mid-day. Thank goodness we admire these creatures.

After a month of being missing, Ripper has once again appeared. It's like no time has passed and we are best buds. If only he could talk and tell me where he's been. I suspect he's been around but we've just been missing each other. It's always a pleasure to hang with Ripper any morning. The black and white photo suits the gloomy weather we've been having here in southern Ontario.


The daytime Raccoon visits have eased off but I still see 3 to 5 on the cam captures. I will miss the visits with my morning coffee. They are real characters.



Some lecture me on being nice to them or even just tolerating them, letting them come to the backyard. The outdoors belongs to the animals. This is how we feel about the haters to not just the Raccoons but wildlife in general.


Our hand feeding Hairy Woodpecker still comes around. He's not a daily visito by any means but knows to look into the kitchen window when he's here.


We have a new Pigeon visitor who has quickly figured out where the good food is. I commented that he is a tank, because he is a large bird and very heavy compared to the others. Our friend Patty quickly threw the name Sherman out there. Meet Sherman.


He's very comfortable with me. Rarely can I get any sort of selfie with the new Pigeons without them spooking and flying off my hand; they don't like the phone being behind them. Sherman doesn't seem to mind.


And last but not least, after a week away, my pal Fitz came to the backyard on November 3rd. I was in the kitchen when I spotted him fly in. I quickly got my boots on and some food for him. Once Fitz heard the back door opening, he flew to me. I noticed he was having difficulty getting sunflower chips from my hand. He was missing half of them and just pecking at my palm. How odd. It was when I got a good look at his face and not just the right side that I saw something was wrong with his left eye. It was closed.


I felt bad for my friend. Being half blind makes him easy prey and probably vulnerable to other things like being hit by a car or injuring himself in flight. I walked with him in my hand down to the shed. This is about 100 ft away. I open the shed doors. Fitz is still in my hand. I set him on top of the cinder block that weighs down my two seed buckets. Fitz obviously has absolute trust in me to go with all these motions. I think he was very hungry too. He can get an easy meal here with me. I'm not sure what kind of struggle he may have elsewhere. I left him there with a large pile of sunflower chips while I went back to the house to look for a box. I returned many minutes later and he was still pecking away. I let him eat for a few more minutes. I set the box down near my feet. As I put my hand over top of him, looking him in that good eye, I said "sorry Fitz" and quickly grabbed him, putting him in the box. It was only when I grabbed him that he freaked out. He calmed right down again once I put the lid on.

I had made a call to TWC about him and also emailed a photo of his eye condition. They called me back and after a little chat, I was given permission to bring him in.

We are hoping it's nothing more than an infection. Something that medication and a time out will take care of. I should have a better idea of how things are with him in a couple days. He needs to be assessed and go from there. I know if it's not treatable, then Fitz will be euthanized. This will be a better outcome for him than to be outdoors, struggling with the sight loss and eating as well as not getting picked off by a predator or any other dangers. Some of you will agree. I expect some not to. He's more than a Pigeon, he's my friend. He makes me smile and forget about the awful things that happen in the world, even for a few minutes every time he comes to see me. Even if he wasn't one of the special yard critters, he's still a living being and doesn't deserve to suffer. While not all of my family and friends understand these things of me and the animals, most still respect it.

Please wish Fitz the best during this time.


January 2020 will mark 2 years that he has been coming to visit. Let's hope we get to see this anniversary.

Well, that's it for now. Thank you for stopping in.

For laughs, here is Franken-Merry from Halloween. Believe it or not she was purring while wearing this silly little hat. She loves the attention way more than the hat.

4 comments:

Tammie said...

Hope you hear about Fitz soon & that it's good news. That raccoon face is one of your best shots ever, I think!

Carol said...

I just discovered your blog and I will say I am impressed with the animals you have up close and personal with you. I love woodpeckers and I wish mine would let me hand feed it.

shiba said...

On method of teaching is the unit study option. This can increase the knowledge building on a subject. Unit study ensures that only one topic is covered at any point. They can dive deeper into a single subject. For instance, six weeks of classical music. When six weeks have passed, taking in a classical performance as a field trip will solidify what has been taught. This is a great way of learning.
satta king
play bazaar

Mr. king said...

Try to save conversation for after the massage. You may love chatting with your massage therapist, but talking during the massage prevents you from ever relaxing fully. In fact, it may actually cause some muscles to tense up, making your therapist's job even more difficult. Do speak up about your needs, however -- if the room's too cold, the music is too loud, or any other factor that prevents you from sinking deep into relaxation.
satta king
play bazaar