Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

December 10, 2015

December 10th

So this is a day that stands out for me every year.

For one, it's the birthday of a former long time friend of mine who turned his back on me after nearly 30 years of friendship. A story not for here, and a chapter in my life that is now closed. But the angering and painful memory comes back every year on this day.

In recent years though I notice that December 10th has brought me some great birding moments.

In 2012 I was blessed with the presence of a Northern Saw-whet Owl.


In 2013, I remember this one very well... it was -15c, snow and ice covered, and after nearly an hour and a half out and about looking for Snowy Owls, I had just given up when I spotted this one resting on a fence near where I had parked my truck! It was like "Here I am!" to show up here after my outing, and not be there when I started my walk.


Then in 2014 I chanced upon 5 Long-eared Owls. It was almost 2 years since I last saw this species and almost 4 years since I found this species on my own.


I have no plans to go out this morning before work but I can't deny the temptation is there to go for a walk.

Owls Owls Owls! I love all birds but these guys are special to most of us just because they are gems in the wild, birds most of us do not see. I was hoping Momma Nature would put one in our backyard this morning for me since I swear I heard a Saw-whet out back on Sunday morning. Not so...

Oh well, the day is young, we shall see what comes of it. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you.