Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

September 13, 2015

Crash

So our hard drive crashed just over a week ago. I learned from a friend that our Desk Star hard drive is notorious for frying prematurely, and has been nick named "Death Star". IBM even lost a law suit because of this. But I'm back and here is a little update.

A couple Fridays ago one of my co-workers came up to me about 5pm and asked me if I wanted a Pigeon. I was like "WTF?" Everyone knows about my visiting flock and how I've got some hand feeders. He brought me outside and showed me a baby Pigeon in our propane tank storage shed at the back of the warehouse.


How did he get here? The shed has a roof, walls but no doors on either end. It is along the wall of our warehouse. Our parking lot is a very busy area with tractor trailers constantly rolling through. There are no Pigeon nests around here, heck there are no Pigeons. I bird daily, usually not even intentionally. It's just when I am having my coffee before work, or on break, I'm always looking at birds around us. I never see Pigeons. Lots of Doves, a couple Hawks, Crows and many Ring-billed Gulls. So where did he come from? I could approach the bird and he would not (could not?) fly. Once I got within his comfort zone, he would run like hell, wings pointed straight up in the air, and head for cover behind the propane tanks.

I contacted a couple friends who work with wildlife rehab. I explained the situation, and sent off the above photo. I monitored the bird over the next few hours and come dark, it had left the cover of the shed and was hunkered along the wall near our stairs/entrance to the warehouse. I made the decision, taking in advice from those I discussed this with, that it would be in best interest of the bird to contain him and call Toronto Wildlife the next morning. Our plant would be shutting down for the long weekend and if the bird was in trouble, not many would be around over the next few days. He'd most likely die.

I got a Xerox box, and picked him up with ease towards the end of my shift. I figure the darkness made it easy for me. The next morning, he went up to TWC.

I've since gotten an update on the bird. He came in at 153 grams, and is up to 191 now. He's starting to feed on his own. He was thin on arrival, empty crop but is improving. Other than that, he's a healthy bird. So the question still runs through my mind... how did he end up where he did? It's like he just crashed in. Only he knows for sure, and lucky for him, it was me who was around. I'm sure others would have helped but you know what I mean. I will update on him again one day.

I was fortunate enough to have an opportunity to release some Warblers the other day before work. 10 of them to be exact. A huge shout out to the people of FLAP for saving these birds, and a huge shout out to Toronto Wildlife for caring for them. All these birds are survivors of window crashes during their fall migration. Sadly many many more do not survive such collisions.

Blackburnian Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Blackburnian back to doing his thing, feeding.  These birds just go go go.

With releases, some birds jet off, some stick around in the nearest tree while they get their bearings. I don't always have my camera with me, but if I do, I try for photos after release. I don't chase the birds. I give them their space. They have been through enough stress already. It's awesome to see them shake everything off rather quickly and go back to business as usual, being a bird, eating insects and moving along their way with migration.

It had been a quiet summer for me with wildlife interaction through the places I volunteer with. I went from weekly adventures to monthly. I missed it but always figured things were going well out there and I was not needed. It would be selfish of me to wish for a call in need of a volunteer driver because an animal was in trouble.

Angie blogged about the other weekend where she got to join me in another release. Since we work different shifts, too often she is not with me physically, but always in spirit. Please check her blog here.

I want to update you all on some other wildlife stuff around the house, but will save that for later this week. I always struggle with blog titles, but I think this one worked, tying in all these bits. If you care for a little bit more, Angie and I are monthly contributors to a blog with Bird Canada. On the 10th of every month, we have a blog with them. But there are many great blogs throughout the month from people across Canada. Here is our latest.

See you soon!

Cheers!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Another fine blog Rob... If you ever figure out how the young pigeon got there please put it in a blog. I'm a sucker for mysteries and this one has me intrigued... cheers!