Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

April 23, 2012

Waiting For Warblers

Here we are at the last days of April and I'm still waiting for the Warblers. Reports are coming in of the early migrants, Yellow-rumps, Pines. But I am just not seeing them yet. Even looking back to last Spring's photos, which was a far worse Spring than this year, I was seeing both species mentioned a week ago from this day. March was rather balmy and it sure was looking like we were going to have the migrants rush through here early. But April went and put things back in order, even slowed things down a bit... for me anyways. I am enjoying some other sightings in recent weeks which are satisfying my "birding urges" but the need to see and hear them Warblers builds with every passing day. A female Northern Flicker. Lovely Woodpecker species and I happened to see 5 in one small area not too long ago.
A female Hairy Woodpecker. Funny I see them more in the Spring and Summer than I do in the winter. I know others where it`s the opposite. I look forward to the summer days when the adult Hairys bring their babies to our backyard for peanuts and suet.
I am still crossing paths with Eastern Screech Owls. The Chickadees have been pointing them out to me in some of my walks. Tuning in to the natural world around us sure can bring out some of the more hidden treasures in the woods.
A Friday the 13th Screech Owl sighting. Last year I was pondering the idea of putting up such a size of a nestbox and see what larger creature might come for a stay over. But I argue with myself on whether I`d truly want such an awesome little predator on my property. The stress and chaos with my other visiting friends, and if I ever saw it catch one of my favorite visitors, eg: Northern Cardinal, would just break my heart. The surprise visits from the Hawks are enough. The Sharp-shinned caught one of the Grackles a couple weeks back; a species of Jay hated by many, but I like the Grackles and was saddened to see him get carried off in the talons of the Hawk. I also like the idea of Screech Owls, like any other Owls, being a treat to see out in the wild... it doesn`t happen all that often.
Angie and I are on vacation in a couple weeks. Much of our time off will be seeking out birds migrating through. Praying for great Spring weather and finally some Warblers!

No comments: