Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

June 25, 2009

Song Sparrows



The last couple months, since I started some migratory bird walks and searches... I've become even more familiar with Song Sparrows than ever before.

So many times in the past I would hear one of their more popular songs and would try to figure out who was singing it. This year, more than a few I have come into close range with and have been able to sit and watch them sing away without a care in the world. Such beautiful noises from such a small creature.

I took these photos on our vacation recently. I really like the one above, because that is how I remember them... head right up, mouth wide open and those notes just pouring out so softly. The one below, I think it was at a point where he grew tired of me taking his photo over and over again. The spot on his chest is almost a sure sign you are looking at a Song Sparrow... very few others have it.

They are ground feeders so you will unlikely have them feeding from a bird feeder but will be hopping below. They enjoy a variety of seeds, live insects and small bits of certain fruits (berries).

If you ever see one, chances are you heard him first... please take the time out and enjoy his song. Click on the link below for some samples of a Song Sparrow...

http://www.learnbirdsongs.com/birdsong.php?id=14

4 comments:

Rob said...

I am wondering now if the bird in the second shot is a Song Sparrow. There's a fair amount of yellow above his eyes. Anybody care to clear this up for me? There are so many species of Sparrows around, it's hard to keep track of them.

Angie in T.O. said...

I think that's the Savannah Sparrow, with the yellow...

T said...

That first photo is fantastic!!

Teena in Toronto said...

I slept with my window open a bit last night. Lots of birds waking me up this morning.