Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

April 29, 2009

Chick-a-dee-dee-dee! Come live with me!



So, the last few weeks a pair of Black Capped Chickadees have been buzzing about the yard and beyond (not so unusual really). The thing is it is nesting season or mating season, whatever you prefer, and they have taken notice to one of the bird houses out back. I find this all very exciting especially since that house has only been out there for four years now and has never had never any residents. I find it funny too because this house was more show out in the garden and not one of the few out there where I really thought a bird might move in.

I asked some questions at a bird magazine web site over their message board. A great place to find answers (usually) from other friends of the feathered. Google was a big help too... gotta love Google.

It seems the Chickadees will excavate a number of nests for a short bit until they decide upon which one is best for them. Where does my bird house stand in this all? I have no idea. It is such a tease watching them arrive daily, play in and out of the house for up to two hours at a time. I guess in the coming weeks we will find out for sure.



They don't like the camera much when around the house. So, getting one good shot of the action has not happened yet.

In the coming weeks I will let you know if we have new neighbors.

2 comments:

Angie in T.O. said...

I would be thrilled if they chose our yard to nest in!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Teena in Toronto said...

Angie took me out chickadee hunting at the Briars a couple years ago.