Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

Meadow Mueller 07/2003 - 04/2015

March 25, 2009

Why? Why? Why?


Once again, somebody in the city of Toronto has let me down. I do not know this person, I do not know what they look like and honestly I would never like to know this person or someone much like them.

They have done something, which probably in their own eyes thought was a good deed... or they just didn't care. Their actions have impacted a number of lives now... both human and animal.

Please read on...

I know this couple, who have become pretty good friends to Angie and I over the last few years. They are very much animal lovers like ourselves. They do not hide their love for the furry and the feathered. I don't believe anybody should... unfortunately this can be a downfall.

This couple own a store in the area. It is a Wild Bird Store where one can definitely accessorize their backyard to attract wild life.

Someone, three weeks ago, drove up to the front of the store, and silently placed a box at the front window and quickly left unnoticed. What they left did not go unnoticed for very long. A card board box with 5 kittens inside. Actually, I should say FIVE NEWBORN KITTENS! A trip to the vet that afternoon verified that those kittens were barely 24 hours old. They still had the little umbelical cords attached to their stomachs!

I'd say it's cruel because it is March (still cold) but anytime of the year is not the right time to do something like this. Newborns need their mother for food, warmth and general care. The mother was no where to be seen. These babies need feedings every two hours. A lot of constant care that a mother cat can certainly provide but is much more difficult for humans with jobs. Now, multiply feeding one kitten every two hours by five kittens! A lot of time is needed. A lot of formula is needed.

I cannot imagine doing something so heartless as this but as I get older I realize there are so many people like this or worse.

Something similar happened to another friend of mine... a kitten left in a box at her front door in the middle of the night. She leaves for work by 6am and found the box on her way out. She works for the Humane Society so it's easy to figure the culprit is somebody she knows. They probably had hopes she would remove this kitten for them, taking it into THS. My friend has a heart of gold and just couldn't do this... so she has gone from 4 cats to 5.

So, don't be surprised if in another 6 weeks that you see a Blog here about yet another batch of kittens up for adoption.

2 comments:

T said...

I would like to say I am surprised, but sadly, I'm not. Humans are such an uncaring and greedy species,this happens more often then we would like to think.

Bottle feeding is tremendous work. I bottle feed atleast 3 full litters a year. In fact, I just finished a litter of 5, and now they are in a foster home. What is worse, is many times we lose some if not all of the litter, even after countless, sleepless nights, feeding, burping, and caring for the little guys. It never gets easy.

It is nice that you and Angie have such great and caring animal lover friends.

Teena in Toronto said...

Why do people do that?

At least they were left at a place with a good heart. They could have been left in the woods or something and they never would have had a chance.